Struggling with the everyday wash cycle?
Our founders weigh in on root causes for oily hair and ways you can overcome greasy hair — naturally.
Oily hair is the result of overactive sebaceous glands producing too much sebum. Common causes for oily hair include: heredity, diet, medication, and improper hair care. Additional contributing factors may be seasonal changes, hormonal fluctuations, and periods of high stress.
Sebum is beneficial for your hair by keeping it healthy and smooth, and preventing dryness and breakage. But too much sebum can cause hair to look greasy, not to mention contribute to dandruff outbreaks.
Natural oily hair remedies
Avoid greasy foods and increase portions of fruit and vegetables, plus drink plenty of water — this will not only benefit your hair but also boost the condition of skin and nails. Adding vitamin B-rich foods (B2 and B6) may help moderate sebum production, like sweet potatos, bananas, bell peppers, and spinach.
Lovesong is a big proponent of natural and clean-ingredient shampoo and conditioner, but if you are tied to a conventional brand, ensure that your shampoo does not contain sulfates. Try to avoid washing your hair too often, which can stimulate sebum production. Stick to a shampoo schedule of every 2-3 days if possible. When using conditioner, apply sparingly, and only to the mid-length and ends of hair, avoiding your roots.
On days you are skipping a wash, try to pull your hair back including bangs and fringe, or wash your bangs only, to eliminate grease near your face. Avoid over-touching your hair with your hands as this can contribute to oil buildup on the scalp that can travel down your strands. Refrain from overbrushing and use a wide-tooth comb for knots. Avoid using sticky styling products such as mousse, gel, pomade, and hair spray.
DRY SHAMPOO WORDS OF CAUTION
Dry shampoos made with starch (powder) can cause potential hair and scalp risks if used too frequently, such as clogged hair follicles, hair breakage, and hair loss. These starch-based (powder) options do not clean your hair, but rather absorb the oil in your hair, making it less noticeable. Using starch-based (powder) dry shampoo too often or leaving it in your hair for prolonged periods without washing it out can lead to a buildup of product on your scalp. This build-up may cause dandruff, scaly skin, and potentially contribute to the risk of bacterial or fungal infections. Taking into consideration that poor scalp health can lead to hair loss, it’s best to be careful with dry shampoo selection and frequency of use.
How to break the wash cycle
If you have been washing your hair with shampoo-containing sulfates or using conventional dry shampoo products, it may be time for a hair cleanse. Start by either using a clarifying shampoo or rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR RINSE RECIPE
- Mix 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 8oz of water
- After shampooing, pour the mixture over your hair, paying special to your roots
- Gently massage into your scalp
- Let the ACV solution sit on your hair for a couple of minutes
- Condition if needed
Meet our hero
Hair refresher and scalp elixir — it’s a dry shampoo revolution.
Born out of frustration from options that were currently available, Lovesong Invisible Dry Shampoo Gel is like nothing you have used before, and offers amazing benefits for your hair and scalp delivered through meticulous research and thoughtful formulation of active ingredients that are best applied at the root. Psst! Did we mention no powdery residue? It's good like that.
- Wakame Extract promotes healthy hair with regenerating, soothing, and detoxifying properties
- Green Tea Leaf Extract promotes improved hair health and may help prevent hair loss
- Witch Hazel Bark Extract fights inflammation and may offer relief from dryness and dandruff
- Aloe Vera Leaf Extract cleanses hair while removing excess oil and impurities
- Nettle Extract aids in combating hair loss and may help with hair re-growth
- Saw Palmetto Fruit Extract targets the androgen hormone component to hair thinning
- Hemp Seed Oil aids in preventing breakage and may help stimulate hair re-growth
- Lavender Grosso Oil promotes improved hair health and may help prevent hair loss
- Evening Primrose Oil fights inflammation and protects against environmental damage
- Rice Bran Extract aids in preventing breakage and may offer relief from dandruff
- Rosemary Leaf Extract may stimulate hair growth and aids in preventing premature graying
- Sunflower Extract fights inflammation and aids in preventing breakage
- Rose Distillate Water may help to reduce oiliness and dandruff
- Lemon Peel Oil cleanses hair while removing excess oil and impurities
- Jojoba Seed Oil moisturizes the scalp and aids in preventing breakage
- Rose De Mai Flower Extract moisturizes the scalp and fights inflammation
- Jasmine Flower Extract moisturizes the scalp and aids in preventing breakage
- Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract promotes hair growth
- Vanilla Tahitensis Fruit Extract promotes hair growth
Pump into the palm of your hand, then apply to dry hair using your fingertips. Lovingly massage into the scalp and roots of hair. Can be used daily or overnight.
For a flawless daytime finish, blast roots with a hair dryer after applying.